DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, October 16, 2008

What's In Your Wallet?


This whole recession/depression thing has me a bit nervous. The words "frightened" and "scared" may not be too strong.

I refuse to look at our long term savings (401K etc.). I'm afraid I would throw myself out a window.

I have had two customers tell me projects are being put on hold until their investors see what's going to happen. The idea of losing my job is scary. For the usual reasons but this year is to be the most expensive for us EVER.

1. Two boys on our car insurance
2. Two boys with cell phones
3. The purchase of another vehicle
4. One more year of private school for youngest

All of this adds up to OUCH. My job certainly takes the sting out of it.

So, sometimes I let my imagination run away.....I envision lines for loaves of bread (I am pretty good at cutting in line), beans for dinner every night (fiber & protein - we will be healthier and lose weight!), panhandling (I have 3 dogs so plan to take them with me for the sympathy factor), and wearing a hat.

A hat? Well, when I think of the Great Depression I think of hats. People wore hats back then. When you see black and white photos during that period they all have hats, the men, the women, even the kids. Will hats make a comeback?


4 Comments:

  • Well, I'm a big hat person anyway. I collect hats like some women collect shoes! If we have to stand in line for food, I'll be there with you. You can borrow one of my hats and I'll stand with you and your dogs for the sympathy factor!

    By Blogger teahouse, at 10/16/2008 8:01 PM  

  • I don't think it will be that bad. It's only bad if you are looking for a job or retiring or getting a loan. Don't look at the market over a week or two look at it over a couple of months.

    Now is the time to cut back if you can though. And I'm in the same boat looking for a new car.

    Knot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/17/2008 6:01 AM  

  • I want to take that photo of the soup line, and Photoshop in an iPhone or Blackberry for everyone.
    That's how a modern depression would look.
    Last week, I took my wife to Jasper's for dinner, and then to Cru for wine, and then dessert at a chocolate bar. All the places were packed with happy people spending lots of money.
    I guess they don't watch the news.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2008 4:03 PM  

  • Of course you need a hat! That's what you hold out for the hand out!

    Or if you need to dance for food...got to have a hat!

    Yea my 401K down 1/3, and I thought I could retire next year! Bummer....where's my hat?

    By Blogger PEACE, at 10/21/2008 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home