DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Boy & His Dogs

The last two weeks have been spent dashing around to doctor appts, labs and medical centers. Boy #3 has had chronic congestion for the last couple of years (gets better in the summer) which leads to a nasty sinus infection here and there. The pediatrician labels it "allergies" and throws some antibiotics at the sinus problem. But no definitive diagnosis.

I finally decided to get tough on it and made an appt. with an allergist. #3 let it be known that every now and then his chest hurt when he ran around in cold air. The nurse made him run the hallway for 12 minutes (to the amazement of his older brother who has never seen younger one do so much exercise). Diagnosis? Asthma.

I was sent out for neck x-rays, blood work and a visit to pediatrician for immunizations. Then we went back for skin testing (faint scratches with a plastic doo-hickey). Yesterday it was allergy testing which involved sticking a needle under the skin (17 times!).

Diagnosis? Allergic to bermuda grass and dogs. Great. Basically, we would have to get rid of three members of the family AND not let #3 outside in our yard for the rest of his life.

#3 put on his best "Call of Duty 5" face and told the doctor, "Its just a snotty nose. I'm not getting rid of our dogs." He will soon be going weekly for allergy shots and downing a host of meds.





Could you get rid of this?






or this????







5 Comments:

  • No. I couldn't get rid of those. Well, at least you know the culprit. Hope the shots and meds work.

    By Blogger Brenda, at 1/28/2009 6:06 PM  

  • Awww..I've been seeing an allergist for the past 10 years, and I'm asthmatic and basically allergic to everything under the sun - dogs, cats, horses, feathers, dust mites, mold, you name it.

    Sorry your son is having so many difficulties in that dept. It's hard, but the shots and meds have worked for me, so all doggie cuteness is not lost.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 1/29/2009 1:32 AM  

  • Yeah, that's why I avoid the allergist. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to my cats, and I know my daughter is, but they're staying. They are the only inhabitants of my house that I like, most days.

    By Blogger Candy, at 1/29/2009 1:39 PM  

  • Hey, is that second dog a Rat Terrier? :)

    Hoop's allergic to cats and dogs, but we'd never dream of getting rid of our furry children. It's tough, but you do what you have to out of love.

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/02/2009 9:20 AM  

  • Hey, he'll be fine. My son had the same symptoms, but fortunately was diagnosed early. He was coughing all the time, I never thought it could be allergies or asthma. The doctor did the same thing had him run down the hall until he started coughing...

    He did a year of allergy shots, he was five years old and it killed me to see my little boy getting three shots every week. He never cried. Anyway, it didn't do much for the allergies..still had the runny nose red eyes. BUT the asthma was greatly improved. That was 25 years ago and I am guessing things are most improved.

    Isn't that prick test awful? My son had welts all over his back when it was over.

    Anyway, and tell your son to be brave!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 2/02/2009 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home