DebbieDoesLife

Friday, February 06, 2009

The Meaning of Patriotism



I try to stay away from inflammatory posts. I prefer pictures of puppies and kitties and if I could, I would dot my i's with little hearts. (there is probably a font out there....)

But sometimes I must speak up. This week I had enough.

Let's start with that windbag on the radio. Just so I don't get any crazies who google his name constantly, because they don't know what to do or think unless he tells them, I will give him a nickname. Crush Limback. Crush stated that he hoped our new President would fail. So everyone will vote him out in 4 years. I find this disrespectful and dishonorable. I implore the Republican community to turn away from this horrible person. If you want to grow and make your party stronger, it will not be by following this type of rhetoric.

I would hope they understand that Crush Limback is only interested in feathering Crush's own pockets. He says things like this to MAKE MONEY. That's his job - to make people listen. Of course, he is the radio version of a train wreck and people can't help but rubberneck because he is so incredibly obnoxious.


The next thing that happened was during my work day. I was meeting with a client and we were waiting for a co-worker to join us. This old man (he is in his mid-70's) turns to me and states, "so what do you think of our new President?"

I responded, (knowing where he was going because of his snarky tone) "we probably should not have this conversation."

He then says, "I don't care that he's black, I just don't like him being a Muslim."

I bit my tongue. This is my client. I should just shrug or nod and let it go. I bit down again, but to no avail, and I heard myself saying, "You know that's not true."

"Oh yes, it is. He has stated that if he has to choose, he will side with the Muslims!"

Now, I should have walked away. You should not go head to head with crazy people but I tried to explain where that rumor came from and that I did not believe that Pres. Obama had ever said anything to that effect.

Thankfully, we were interrupted. But, once again, I was faced with what I thought was a blatant disrespect and disregard for the office of President of the United States.

These type of people are the first ones to cry from the tallest mountain that they are patriots. Patriotism is devotion and loyalty to one's country. It also means supporting and defending one's country, not spreading rumors and lies about the leader of it.

Now I also believe in freedom of speech. If you don't agree with a person's actions or decisions then argue your point based on fact. I have been amazed in the last few months how "the other side" gets downright hostile if you disagree with them. I do not ask someone to defend their decision to vote for McCain/Palin. I may have asked "what do you like" because I was interested to hear their views. I didn't take it personally that they didn't see eye to eye with me.

What I find is that most of the nastiness aimed at Obama is not based in fact. It's racist, small-mindedness and sour grapes. I know that where I live is not the rest of the world. Believe me, if Texas was the rest of the world, Pres. Obama would have never even gotten close to the office he holds now.

Personally, I am pleased with what Pres. Obama is trying to do. He is inclusive and thoughtful. He is a devoted family man and honestly, just seems like a nice guy who does his homework and hangs around people who elevate him instead of dragging him down. But, what do I really like? He makes decisions based on what is best for the country, NOT based on his own ego. Has he promised us an easy ride? No. Has he promised free $$? No. In fact, he has admonished us to prepare to accept responsibility and to buckle down for a bumpy ride.

Talk about bumpy ride. The oldest has learned where he will be stationed upon graduation from college in May. He will do about 6 months of training in Oklahoma and then he will be in Germany for about 6 months. Then Afghanistan. Imagine the feeling of your stomach dropping out (much like a roller coaster) of your body. Yeah - that's pretty much what happens to me everytime I think about it. He's excited and I put on a good face in front of him. The clock is ticking. I am summoning up every bit of patriotism that I can muster.

5 Comments:

  • Gossip is such an evil thing. On any level.

    And I've been where you're going... with your son...so if you need an email shoulder, or whatever, let me know.

    hugggggggs..Brenda

    By Blogger Brenda, at 2/06/2009 4:37 PM  

  • I'm with you. Funny how these "patriots" can't hear how hypocritical they sound these days. Must be the sound of all those flags flapping in their ears. When they do wrong it's patriotism and love of country. When we make mistakes it's because we're just wrong. Don't get me started.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/06/2009 8:30 PM  

  • I had a hairdresser fuck up my highlights because I was wearing an Obama pin on my purse. It sounds paranoid, I know. But she basically told me as much when she was finished.

    My boss (a HUGE Republican), also a professed Jew and African American hater, scheduled a sales meeting for the inauguration day. He originally wanted to schedule it for MLK Jr. Day until I talked him out of it.

    I am so sick of people sabotaging this country's success with negativity. It's like they want us to stay down. They want to breed hate. It doesn't make me very proud to live here. It makes me very sad and bitter some days.

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/07/2009 9:52 AM  

  • I caught a snippet of what Crush Rimhack said about Obama recently, and it made my blood run cold. There was only one word to describe what he said - racist.

    It's as you say - people like him and Ann Coulter (another charmer) make a lot of money saying the things they do. They are patriotic to capitalism and self-promotion - that's it. They've convinced a lot of really stupid, uneducated and small-minded Americans to follow them. But they're the ones laughing all the way to the bank!

    The thing that angers me is how some people say they didn't vote for Obama because he was an "elitist." What??? Even George Will, a conservative writer for whom I have a lot of respect, has expressed his disgust with people in his own party who have turned it into the party of the anti-intellectuals.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 2/07/2009 1:25 PM  

  • Whew, Debbie, I don't know what to say about your son's assignment to Afghanistan. I can only imagine your worry and also your hope that things will be resolved soon. It's my hope too and I have nothing so precious at stake.
    There's a recent Newsweek devoted to the war in Afghanistan and what Obama can do to mitigate the situation... we subscribe so if you'd like to have it, I'd be happy to send it your way. It's incredibly informative and actually may make you feel a bit better based on the writer's thoughts about it. Shoot me an e-mail with your mailing info and I'll send it if you like.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2009 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home